1. to conduct and promote research on all kinds of inland aquatic ecosystems, especially in under-explored areas and less understood topics.
2. to prepare an inventory and assessment of aquatic biodiversity and its functions in all inland waters;
3. to establish a comprehensive ICT –enabled database of all kinds of information on all inland waters, to serve as an online decision support system;
4. To develop or adapt, and to contribute to the development or adaptation of, methods and appropriate technologies for the restoration and management of inland aquatic ecosystems;
1. STUDY OF ECOSYSTEM SERVICES OF RIVERS AS AN AID TO IWRM
The Centre for Inland Waters in South Asia has started a study on the ecosystem Services of river Ken in central India with reference to the effects of flow diversion on these services both up- and downstream vis-à-vis the benefits from diverted water. The study, first of its kind in India, is supported by the GIZ under its TEEB-India Initiative with the Ministry of Environment and Forests, New Delhi. the short-term study will attempt to identify important ecosystem services of river Ken in its basin and assess their economic value by using tools of ecological economics.
For details, see the Project Factsheet.